I've been wanting to do this post for a long time. I've taken a stack of random grabs off my Keeper shelf and put together a list of great lines from 13 of them. They're not all killer lines standing alone, but they clench around your heart when you're reading the story.
In no particular order:
- "Gentle he would be, denied he would not." - Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
- "She had sold her cameras for the same reason he had mistrusted her: money." - Elizabeth Lowell, The Danvers Touch
- "I'd have killed Bobby Lancaster in a heartbeat for you, so don't you ever say I don't love you!" - Linda Howard, MacKenzies Mountain
- "She's the third member of this--this farce we call a marriage." - Robyn Donald, Smoke In The Wind
- "I realized that within minutes of your walking out of this cottage, darling." - Jayne Bauling, Wait For The Storm
- "I don't know what damage that bomb blast did to you, but you can't have forgotten Charles died nearly six years ago." - Stacy Absalom, Ishbel's Party
- "Kill him when you want him!" - Laura Kinsale, Flowers From The Storm
- "I was stupid and careless with you and it won't happen again." - Nora Roberts, Daring To Dream
- "And in that moment, Gabe finally saw the child as himself, instead of as a reflection of Jamie." - Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Dream A Little Dream
- "I want that boy to stay with me." - Tell Me Lies, Jennifer Crusie
- "I'm beginning to think it doesn't make a difference." - Victoria Leigh, Catch Me If You Can
- "He looked at the hand she'd held and flexed his fingers, remembering the sense of holding something precious and not wanting it to slip away from him." - Emma Darcy, Marriage Meltdown.
- "Finding the words, speaking them without breaking down, was going to be the hardest thing he had ever done, but he had to be strong for her." - India Grey, The Society Wife
Bonus: "So while we're having this heart-to-heart chat, Libby," he continued, "why don't you explain to me why some of the lousiest sex in my life was the best you ever had?" - Anne Stuart, Wild Thing
I could go on....